Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Sea-Hawks top Tigers 1-0

Photo by Trevor MacMillan
Photo by Trevor MacMillan

Game recap by: Kirk Jessome

(Halifax, NS) – In their second game of a back-to-back weekend, the Dalhousie Tigers hosted the Memorial Sea-Hawks at Wickwire field. It was a goal in the final seconds of the first half that made the difference as Memorial took a 1-0 victory.

The Tigers got the action started early with a high, curling strike from Maya Venkataraman (Summerland, BC), but Sydney Walsh (St. John's, NL) timed the save perfectly.

Keeping the pressure on midway through the half, Haley Birrell (Hammonds Plains, NS) sent a beautiful cross into the box with Jensen Hudder (White's Lake, NS) on the other end of it, but once again Walsh was able to catch it square.

The Sea-Hawks were taking advantage of the set-piece plays, getting the ball deep and forcing corners, with a few of them becoming threatening.

Continuing the trend, on a play off of a throw Nicole Torraville (St. John's, NL) made a nice turn to square up and hammer a strike into the far corner over top of Tigers keeper Kate Fines (Halifax, NS) to open up the scoring.

The goal came just seconds before the final whistle for the half, as the teams went into the break with Memorial leading 1-0.

The second half was full of long possessional plays, but not a lot of action to speak of through most of the final 45.

Still down a goal late, the Tigers were pressing for the equalizer, with under two minutes to go it was up to a corner from Sofia Nicolls (Vancouver, BC). The ball came into the box and was deflected for Venkataraman to take another strike, but like the other 89 minutes, Walsh was unbeatable.

With that, the final whistle blew on this one, as the Sea-Hawks took the 1-0 victory.

The Subway Player of the Game was the lone goal scorer, Nicole Torraville.

The Tigers are back at home on Friday against Mount Allison. Memorial will be at home for a double-header against Cape Breton starting next Saturday.