Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Tigers earn 5-4 OT win over STU

Tigers earn 5-4 OT win over STU

The St. Thomas University Tommies fell to the Dalhousie University Tigers 5-4 in overtime in AUS women's hockey action Friday night at the Grant-Harvey Centre.

The Tigers got on the board just over a minute into the game when Tyra Death finished a feed on a two on one to give the Tigers the early 1-0 lead.

Tommies coach Peter Murphy saw miscommunication on the play leading to the goal.

"It was a bad pinch on the blueline," Murphy said. "The defense went and the person should have probably come back, but it just turned out to be a two on one."

The Tommies responded on the powerplay on a shot from Alex Woods that was deflected in front of the net by Danielle Ring to tie the game at one.

The Tigers regained the lead on the powerplay later in the period when Victoria Macintosh's shot was tipped in front by Lauren Ellerton for a 2-1 lead.

The score remained until Ellerton scored her second powerplay goal of the game to extend the Tigers lead to 3-1 midway through the second period.

"They got their share of powerplay goals," Murphy said. "I thought when it needed to be big, we killed them off to keep us in the game."

The Tigers did not let up and were rewarded when Tara Morning scored the third powerplay goal on the night for Dalhousie to give them a commanding 4-1 lead at the end of the second period.

"We were getting a little frustrated in the second period," Murphy said. "I think in the third we did a better job."

The Tommies cut into the lead when Lauren Henman scored on the powerplay to make it 4-2 midway through the third period.

The Tommies did not stop there as Danielle Ring came out of the penalty box after serving a slashing penalty and ripped the puck past the Tigers goalie to make it a 4-3 game.

Late in the third period, the Tommies pressed for the tying goal and Olivia Reid eventually capitalized with just over a minute to go to tie the game 4-4.

"It was excellent," Murphy said. "It's something to be proud of, especially in the third when we tied the game."

The Tigers quickly gained possession at the start of overtime, which did not last long as Natalie Stanwood scored just 40 seconds into the extra frame to win it for the Tigers, 5-4.

"The goal was just a bad bounce," Murphy said. "It was a shot from the point, hit someone's skate and ended up in our net."

The Tommies are back in action this Sunday when the University of Prince Edward Island Panthers visit the Grant-Harvey Centre for the final game of the first half.