Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Tigers lose close one to Huskies

Photo courtesy of Nick Pearce
Photo courtesy of Nick Pearce

Source: Sarah Moore, SMU Communications 

(Halifax, NS) In AUS men's hockey action, the Saint Mary's Huskies took on their cross-town rivals, the Dalhousie University Tigers, at the Dauphinee Centre. In front of a large homecoming crowd, an exciting game saw the Huskies come away with a close 4-3 win.  

The Huskies opened the scoring three minutes into the first period. Rookie Sam King (Hampton, NB) tipped in a low shot from the point past Tigers goalie Connor Hicks (Kanata, ON). Defencemen Mark Trickett (Baddeck, NS) and Nicholas Welsh (Halifax, NS) assisted on the play.  

The teams traded chances throughout the period, playing a physical, intense game. The energy of their rivalry was palpable in the rink.  

The Tigers evened the score with less than two minutes left in the period. Battling behind the net, Michael Dill (Windsor, NS) passed to Brett Crossley (Dartmouth, NS) in front. It took Crossley a couple attempts in close but he stuffed the puck past goalie Eric Brassard (St. Hubert, QC) to make it a 1-1 game.   

Shots after the first period were 11-7 in the Huskies' favour.  

The start to the second period mirrored the first, with the Huskies getting on the board early. This time it was Anthony Repaci (Toronto, ON) scoring two minutes into the period. He sent a wrist shot went top corner as Trickett and Dylan Dylan Di Perna (Nobleton, ON) assisted on the play to put the Huskies up 2-1.  

They came close to extending their lead when Noah Zilbert (Fredericton, NB) forced a turnover and with a burst of speed drove to the Tigers net. The rebound of his shot went high and Connor McGlynn (Oakville, ON) following up the play couldn't control the bouncing puck to put home the rebound.   

After that, the Huskies had a series of penalties that ended with the Tigers on a five on three man advantage. After some good puck movement around the perimeter of the Saint Mary's zone, Connor Welsh (Halifax, NS) walked in from the high slot and wired a wrist shot top shelf to once again even the score.  

Later in the period on the power play, McGlynn had another chance for the Huskies as his shot beat Hicks short side and hit the post.  

The second period ended with the teams tied 2-2. Saint Mary's took the edge in shots in the second frame 16-12.  

Five minutes into the final period, Repaci put home a rebound off of a shot from the point from Jacob Friend (Bowmanville, ON) to again give the Huskies the lead, 3-2. 

With five minutes to go, Mitchell Balmas (Sydney, NS) peeled down the left wing past Dal's defence and Aiden Jamieson (Lindsay, ON) was forced to haul him down as he drove to the net and take a penalty.  

On the ensuing Saint Mary's power play, the Tigers scored a shorthanded goal. On the rush, Campbell Pickard (Halifax, NS), working with Dillon Boucher (Head Chezzetcook, NS), made it 3-3.  

The Huskies' power play got to work, however, and with three minutes to go Bronson Beaton (Springhill, NS) scored the game winning goal.  

The Tigers pulled their goalie in the final minutes of the game and spent that time putting pressure on the Huskies in their zone, but couldn't find the equalizer as the Huskies came away with a 4-3 win.  

Anthony Repaci, with two goals for Saint Mary's, was named the Subway Player of the Game.  

The Huskies travel to Antigonish to take on the X-Men on October 11, while the Tigers host Acadia at the Halifax Forum on the 11th.