Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Hicks stops 60 in 4-0 loss to Reds

Photo by Trevor MacMillan
Photo by Trevor MacMillan

Game recap by: Kirk Jessome

(Halifax, NS) – In the first night of a back to back, the Dalhousie Tigers hosted the UNB Reds at the Halifax Forum on Friday. After a tight two periods, the Reds finally found their offense in the third and came away with a 4-0 victory.

Connor Hicks (Kanata, ON) was busy early, as the Reds were dominant through the first half of the frame, but Hicks was able to stand tall and make an incredible 21 saves in the opening 15 minutes.

In the dying minutes of the period the Reds had their best opportunity so far when Stephen Anderson (Morell, PEI) picked up a great pass from across the slot, but he fanned on the shot just enough for Hicks to get across and make a tough stop.

It looked as though the Tigers had survived the storm, but with just three seconds to go, the puck came through a crowd out to the point for Matt Murphy (Woodstock, NB) to pick up and fire a quick shot that got over the nearside shoulder of Hicks to make it 1-0 going into the second period.

The Tiger were able open the period with some energy, holding stints of pressure in the attacking end, but were unable to get their offense going.

Hicks had to continue to be solid for the Tigers, including a great save on a rebound opportunity in front from Matt Boudens (Pembroke, ON) as Hicks had to stretch out with the paddle to make the stop on the doorstep.

The Tigers best chance of the period game from a great individual play from Jonathan Cyr (Ottawa, ON) working below the goal line, and opening space on the opposite side for a wrap-around chance that Rylan Parenteau (Saskatoon, SK) was able to get a piece of to keep it out and hold the lead.

After a quiet second period, it remained a 1-0 lead for the Reds heading into the third.

The Tigers were given the opportunity they needed to even it up in the third period with a power play opportunity, but the Reds were able to kill it off and turn it into a scoring play of their own instead.

As the penalty expired and Murphy went to the bench, Tyler Boland (St. John's, NL) was sprung all alone down the right hand side. Boland made a strong move to pull from the backhand to the forehand and open up the near side post to tuck the puck home as he got hit from behind and finished through the contact to make it 2-0.

The Reds struck again late in the period, as Alexandre Goulet (Disraeli, QC) was able to knock the wind out of the Tigers as he tapped home the easy rebound to make it 3-0 with just four minutes to go.

The final nail was driven home by Boland on his second of evening off a hard one-timer on a great pass across the slot from Christopher Clapperton (Cap d'Espoir, QC) as the lead grew to 4-0.

Despite giving up the four goals, Connor Hicks was spectacular for the Tigers, stopping 60 in the loss. Tyler Boland was named the Subway Player of the Game in the win for the Reds, finishing with a pair of goals on the night.

The Tigers will try and bounce back tomorrow night when they host UPEI at 7:00, while the Reds continue their road trip tomorrow when they take on StFX in Antigonish.